|Family History of Basil Albert Halsema
by Joan Fines
Basil Halsema was born on 23 August 1874 in St. Mary's, Ohio and died on 26 August 1952 in Edgewood, Missouri. Basil was the son of Hermannus Halsema and Ruth Ann Durbin who were married Valentine's Day 14 February 1871 in Saint Mary's, Ohio, USA .On 17 September 1901 he married Anne Mary Knapke. They had 9 children. The first eight children were born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and are listed on the 1910 Census. Then the family moved to Montgomery City, Missouri where Esther was born.
Basil farmed near Montgomery City, Missouri, until 1932, when he moved to Edgewood, Missouri.
Anna Mary Catherine Knapke was born on 11 October 1874 at Celina, Ohio and died at Edgewood, Missouri on 23 April 1950. She was the daughter of Henry Knapke (23 October 1848 - 23 September 1906) and Mary Bertke (31 October 1850 - August 1925). Anna was the third of ten children.
The 9 children of Basil Albert Halsema and Anna Knapke Halsema:
1. Ruth Marie Halsema was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 15 July 1902 and died on 5 May 1962. She married Lawrence Stewart on 17 November 1926 and they had 5 children:
2. Bernice Elizabeth Halsema was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 14 August 1903 and died on November 1985 in Eolia,Missouri. She married Jim Roy Downing on 17 November 1926. Jim was born on 2 January 1906 and died in Eolia Missouri on December 1987. They had three children:
3. Daniel George Halsema was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 11 February 1905, and died in Barry, Illinois on 9 January 1988. He married Anna Gertrude Vaughn on 24 December 1935. Anna was born on 4 October 1908 and died 8 November 1990. They had 4 children:
4. Irene Elnora Halsema was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 9 March 1906 and died on 10 June 1976. She married Cecil Carver Fines on 17 September 1932. They had one child:
5. Blanche Agnes Halsema was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 25 March 1907 and died in Clarksville, Missouri on 12 July 1988. She married George Shumaker on 25 August 1926. There were no children.
6. Florence Halsema was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 14 July 1909 and died in St. Louis, Missouri on 3 July 1993. She married William Bryant in 1932 and had two children:
7. Grace Halsema was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 10 February 1912. She married Taylor E. Zumwalt on 7 November 1936. Taylor was born on 14 May 1903 and died in Elsberry, Missouri on 24 February 1978. They had one child:
8. Harman Henry Halsema was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on 24 March 1914 and died on 2 January 1974. He married Lorene Healey on 2 November 1952. Lorene was born 27 January 1917 and died in Kansas City, Missouri. On 31 July 1997. Harmen entered the Army in 1941 where he received training as a male nurse. He was employed at Container of America, Chesterfield.
9. Esther May Halsema was born in Montgomery City Missouri on 4 October 1916. She married Charles Allen DeGerlia on 23 November 1937. They had two children They divorced on 27 December 1966.
Esther married Reavis B.G. Patton on 30 March 1972. Reavis was born 9 October 1902 and died in Elsberry on 30 April 1989.