|The Groot Halsum Farm
by John Ketelaars
|The farm has about 34.15 hectare (ca 84 acres) of land. It is located on the Dijkster weg near the town of Kloosterbuuren (in medieval times: Oldenklooster). Before 1717 there used to be a building called Klein Halsum (Small Halsum) in what is now referred to as the "outside garden". Klein Halsum was completely destroyed in the Christmas flood of that year. Its land was subsequently annexed to Groot Halsum. It lies on either side of the Dijksterweg (a road). On the property was found the redgesrecht (a judgement chair) , and therefore it probably used to belong to the nobility of Kloosterburen. The main floor of the house is currently supported by several beams. They are visible from the basement. At one time they formed part of one single beam and came from the barn. It has the following writing :
JACOP HALSEM X CATRINA SIN HVISFROW. ANNO DOMINI 1599 DEN 13 DESSEMBER.
The drawing room of the house was frequently used for saying mass for the Catholics in the area, during the Reformation. In 1462 the owner of the farm was Tjasse Halbetsuma, Judge of Kloosterburen. In 1521 Garbrandt Halsema, Zijl judge (concerned with matters of the sea and dikes). In 1599 the property belonged to Jacob Halsem and Catharina Haycko. Rinje Tammes and Immo, already residents, bought the farm in 1649. They originally came from the town of Zuurdijk. Rinje's son Schelte and Trijnje Jans inherited the property and after them the daughter Catharina Halsema and Freerk (2) Boelens.
John Ketelaars: Teaches Mathematics and Computer Science and is a consultant for the Toronto District School Board, Toronto, Canada. See his excellent genealogy site, John Ketelaars' Family Trees. John Ketelaars' gratefully acknowledges the contributions made by Martha Halsema Donnelly of Renselaer, Indiana. Martha collected the information on the Indiana Halsemas over a period of 50 years.